So here’s why I would have gotten fired this weekend if not for the fact that I’d already resigned with two weeks’ notice.
I found out early today that I would have been expected to come to work and ride out Hurricane Irma right here:
Which is right here….
And those bands are the outer bands of this….
Which at the time was forecast to do THIS.
I’m sorry, I did like my job there for the most part, but if asked to ride out the storm there, in a building which got three feet of water in it during Andrew which didn’t even hit that area much at all…. Well, I’d have just plain refused.
I was hearing stories of how the staff held off on evacuating until it was actually already difficult to get over the causeway due to storm surge and wind.
I’m sorry. It’s one thing to be a dedicated team player with the company. It’s another to endanger your safety to fight a losing battle to keep a broadcast going.
Not much one could do with three feet of seawater in the studios and electrical rooms.
And for that I’m assuming I would have been fired in one of those furious scenes.
This is of course assuming it’s still on a course for us as of morning– there’s some potential for a deviation westwards.
But still, not worth it.
In a couple of weeks, northern California will be my home. The only common natural disasters known there are wildfires. I’m okay with this.